Monday, September 15, 2008

I can't believe she just said that...

I was at Publix with the kids today and we had just finished our cookie run by the bakery and that usually gets me through most of the store if I focus on my list. We were by teh frozen veggies and I was looking for green beens when Grace said, "Mommy that lady has a mean looking face." I was afaid to turn around to the lady right behind me, we were basically touching. I was curious about what she was talking about, hopeing maybe I would find a younger girl with a halloween mask on or something. I slowly turned around, not to be noticed, and peeked at what Grace was talking about. At this point since I haven't acknowledged her she said it again. After I give a quick smile and "I'm sorry," to the lady I hurry and push Grace away to talk to her. I don't go far so I don't make the lady feel like we are runny away from her, but far enough away that I can talk in privacy. What do you do? I have never had Grace make a comment in public like this before. Honestly, she was just stating something she saw and didn't not mean any harm by it. I didn't want to punish her, but I felt horrible for that lady. I just explained to her that what she had said hurt that lady's feelings and it isn't a nice thing to say that someone looks mean. I focused on just the comment at hand, when I really wanted to go into this complete conversation about what is nice and what isn't. I reminded myself that she is just three, and we will cross each of these bridges together. Oh, I really hope we don't cross this one again.

4 comments:

nanamoo said...

I don't know if it will help, but we tried to teach our girls that they could tell us anything they wanted, but it had to be in the car or at home. Maybe Grace was worried about the lady. I think that you are right that she wasn't trying to be mean. I doubt she would even understand what mean is...ahhh parenting, very tricky business!

Maria said...

These are the moments that people send in to the how embarrassing section of the parent magazines. All children do say these kinds of things as they are trying to make sense of their world and different types of people than their family. You must always have a happy face at home! Jared just recently commented loudly "why is that person smoking that is bad." I just try to get him to talk quieter and say sorry to someone if my kids inadvertantly insult people.

Anne-Marie said...

Ashlea,

How are you?? I didn't see a section for random comments on your blog, so I'm dropping a few lines on this one.Last time I saw you was @NFRMC and now you're married with 2 beautiful children. You still look gorgeous as ever!! We haven't crossed the children threshold yet-but I can't wait to- so I can also have great stories to share like you. Keep in touch!!
Anne-Marie

Jamie said...

Oh my, those days are right around the corner for me! I'm glad you survived it:) Your kids are so cute!!