Saturday, October 20, 2007

Decisions Decisions


Recently Randy and I have had to make decisions that most parents probably think are simple. Maybe it is just me being a "mommy" but they have been really hard for me. First, when Grace gets really tired she sucks her thumb and plays with her belly button. We noticed that when she bits down she can stick a little bit of her tongue thru her teeth and I think it is impeding on her speech when she pronounces her "s". This weekend I went out and bought a polish called "thum" that tastes really nasty, almost spicy, and we decided to put it on her thumb to try and get her to quit (like she is an addict or something, right). "She is just two", I keep telling myself, and she is my little girl. It has been really hard to me to sit down and tell her that she can't suck her thumb anymore, and if she does she will have this nasty taste in her mouth. I feel cruel! We finally did it and had the big talk with her about her thumb, and what do you know...she is really excited about it and is actually trying really hard to stop. I painted her nails today as a reward and this whole thing hasn't been as bad as I imagined.



Second, (as if the previous decision wasn't enough for one week) Gavin is getting to be a big boy and is outgrowing his bassinet. During the day he takes naps in his crib and does fine, even falls asleep all on his own. So why am I having a problem moving him into his crib at night? I just want him there beside me when I wake up at night to nurse him, and it's like he isn't such a newborn anymore when I move him in his own room. I haven't done so well with this one...he's still in his bassinet!

5 comments:

Heidi said...

Those are BIG decisions. My heart goes out to you - sweet little children with a wonderful Mommy!

Melody said...

I know how you feel about moving Gavin. I think you'll remember that I kept Aislinn in our closet as long as I could!

Rhea said...

You are brave. I don't think that I could even attempt to move Jayden right now, I would be a nervous wreck...good luck!!

nanamoo said...

Your blog made me laugh and at the same time brought a tear to my eye...because I remember when---

Jamie said...

It's crazy the things we think about and contemplate as moms!Tyson slept in our room forever and even now if he wakes up in the middle of the night we'll sometimes let him spend the rest of the night in our room. Good Luck!!