Today Gavin was supposed to go in and get his 4 mos. check up and shots, but he still had a cough and I asked to doctor to look at it again (I had just taken him in on Monday as well). She checked again and come to find out he was wheezing and had some broch???? something, and he needed to have breathing treatments. We did one in the office to see how effective they are for him. This turned out to be a nightmare.
While she was initially checking Gavin I saw Grace in the background pushing like she had to go to the bathroom. I was thinking to myself, oh no she doesn't have a pull-up on (since she is potty trained) but I do have a change of panty's/clothes in the diaper bag for her. Then the doctor noticed her pushing and asked how her constipation problem was going (Grace was referred to a pediatric gastroenterologist for her constipation about 2 mos. ago). At this point Gavin is in a full out cry because he is hungry and teething, and she starts asking me tons of questions about grace and what her specialist has her doing, how her stools are, what her diet is like, etc. Needless to say I am a little flustered at this point, but I try to answer her the best I can with now TWO crying children. Then she tells me about Gavin needing breathing treatments. 10 minutes later the nurse comes back in to explain how to use the nebulizer, and at this point I am only getting about 25% of what she is saying because of the kids, and Grace announces that she pooped her pants. Gavin is now set up with the nebulizer which it takes about 15-20 minutes to complete, Grace is pulling on my leg because she needs her pants changed, the room stinks so the nurse cracked the door (sort of embarrassing), and Gavin isn't enjoying the last 5 minutes of the treatment. Should I scream or cry, right? Finally I get Gavin treated, fed, changed. Grace gets changed and I realized that I didn't pack a bag to put the dirty clothes in ( I always have a bag, but not this time of course). I ask the nurse passing by, since the door is STILL open, if I could have a plastic garbage bag and I get Grace all fixed. Now you think I get to leave, but no, I still have 4 pages of paperwork to fill out for the nebulizer machine that we get to purchase. I now say a little prayer, Grace gets a lollipop to sit quietly for a few minutes and I get through the rest of the visit. I got there at 3:00, was finished with the doctor by 3:30 and left at 4:45...is that a record for the longest visit after the doctor has already treated the patient?
The good news, the treatments worked for Gavin and we give him 4 a day until our next visit on Wednesday. I'm really shocked they didn't ask us to find a new doctor, but since they made another appointment I'm kind of scared to go back.








5 comments:
I think "poor mom"... Gavin is a trooper! Although I feel bad for him having to get the breathing treatments, I think he looks too cute with that mask on his face! I am happy he is feeling better!
Ahhh... Ashlea, bless your heart! How horrible, it's moments like that you kind of have to laugh after it's all over. Julia had to see the same kind of specialist and had all kinds of problems with constipation. She's over it now so thier is hope. I'm sorry for your traumatic experience and I hope Gavin gets all better soon.
sounds like quite a day....but I am glad that his treatments are helping him, they are a pain but at least you can do them at home and don't have to go in to do them.
I vote "Poor Mom" too. The things we do to keep these precious little ones up and running!
Poor Mom for sure! I am pretty sure that all of us moms have had at LEAST one experience like that. You're the best! :)
Post a Comment